Sunday, September 22, 2013

Hautecombe Abbaye in Aix-les-Bains

So, I've been quite lucky with my semester so far. After a 2-week intensive course, I'm currently on vacation for three weeks. As I write this, I'm about one week into my vacation and tomorrow Emily, Sam, Diana, Dana, Dayton, and myself will be hopping on a train to Paris. 

So, I thought I would catch up on my blog and let you know some of the stuff I've been doing during this first week off! 

Since for the majority of Chambéry, this week is the first week of class, everyone was able to ride the bus all week to any location for 1 euro! We took advantage of this by going to the beach a million times! (We also found a mall, a hellaciously overpriced McDonalds, and the closest thing a person could get to Wal-Mart in France).



About halfway through our first week off, we went to Aix-les-Bains which is on the other side of Lac du Bourget (the lake near Chambéry). There we took a boat to the other side of the lake to visit what may be one of my favorite historical locations that I've seen since coming to France: Hautecombe Abbaye. 

We couldn't take any pictures inside because even today, the abbey is used primarily as a place of prayer and is still inhabited by monks. 

Inside there were tombs dating back to the 1400's! Many of the Dukes and Duchesses of Savoie were buried there. 

Here are some pictures of Hautecombe Abbaye and of our boatride. 

(Credit for these first two pictures belongs to the lovely Diana Olsen)


 

Let the Shenanigans Continue, 
Lacey J



No comments:

Post a Comment